1kg pumpkin peeled, desseded and diced
2tbsp coconut oil
1tsp sea salt
2 brown onions finely chopped
5 garlic cloves finely diced
1tbsp ginger grated
2tsp ground cumin
1litre vegetable stock
1cup coconut milk
coriander leaves for garnishing
Time to prep & cook
- 1 Preheat fan-forced oven to 200 degrees.
- 2 In a large bowl add chopped pumpkin and add a tablespoon of coconut oil and salt. Use your hands to coat the pumpkin well.
- 3 Place pumpkin on a baking tray, making the pumpkin is evenly spread apart. Bake until pumpkin starts to turn a light golden colour and is soft. Depending on the size of chopped pumpkin, cooking time can range from 30 to 40 minutes. Set aside.
- 4 Heat 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil in a large saucepan until hot. Add onions and cook until softened stirring occasionally. Add garlic, ginger, cumin and coriander, mix together and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- 5 Add pumpkin and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Next add the coconut milk and stir well. Remove from heat and use a hand held blender (bamix) to blend the soup to a thick, smooth consistency. Add extra vegetable stock if you want a thinner consistency.
- 6 Pour soup into serving bowls. Season with salt, drizzle with coconut milk and garnish with coriander leaves.
Swap garlic for garlic infused olive oil; swap onion for green part spring onion; use any pumpkin except butternut.